You’ve gone through the blood sweat and tears of building a website. It is finally live, looks beautiful and functions as you had hoped. Time to hang up your boots and go home.

Not exactly… One of the biggest mistakes companies make is to let their website stay stagnant for 2 – 5 years until it looks outdated and the backend is a minefield ready to blow.

But what if you made small, data-driven changes incrementally? Your website could become fluid, changing with the times and users’ expectations. All the meanwhile, maintaining a stable a robust backend which will support your online objectives.

top_image.jpg

Enter website optimisation

The purpose of website optimisation is to improve online engagement. The reality is, within 3 seconds people will decide whether or not they want to do business with you.

The key to website optimisation is to set clear marketing goals, and prioritise them. Then consider how to measure your goals online.

Case in point, say you want to run an advocacy campaign. Your objective is to get people to sign a petition.

Your goals are probably – Awareness, Conversions and Engagement.

To measure these you will consider:
Awareness = pageviews
Engagement = time spent on page, interaction with page content, additional pages visited
Conversions = form completion

You set up Google Analytics to track your measures and gauge your success.

Analysis is the catalyst for change

Once you know your goals, have set your measures, it’s time to watch how well your goals are being met.

At this point analysing where your traffic is coming from, and how that traffic is behaving on your site will help you understand preferences, paths towards reaching goals and identify predominant drop off points.

You may find Google Analytics is not enough to make assumptions, so looking at tools such as crazyegg will help you understand how people are engaging with your pages or forms.

Measuring load times for frequently viewed pages is also important. No one likes to see that circle spin for too long!

Don’t forget the outside world

For any search, there are at least 15 websites vying for a click, and that’s just the first page of Google! If another web experience is better than yours, you are on the back foot.

There are also trends to keep abreast of; device trends, changes within search engine algorithms, web personalisation, new technology, all of which will affect your traffic and the user experience.

Test the hypothesis

From delving into various data points a theory has evolved, which may sound something like: “People are dropping off the products page because, 60% of the traffic is mobile and on a mobile all you can see is a big image, the actual products are not clear.”

Wise assumption, however if there is a 70% drop off on mobile, drastically changing the page could alienate the other 30% who are bothering to scroll down and see the products available.

In this case, test. Run a test to see if changes to the mobile view will reduce drop offs.

If you see an improvement, roll out the new variation and start to consider which other pages may suffer the same fate.

Reap the rewards

It is more cost-effective to convert more of the visitors you are already attracting than invest in more clicks. We’ve seen clients achieve a 200% uplift in conversion rates from changes to their landing pages alone.

If you’d like to learn more about website optimisation or need a helping hand to get started, get in touch.

Go back to Digital Marketing